To me, spring means…
flowers, showers, winds, rebirth, new growth, SPRING BREAK, bunnies, eggs, taxes, longer days, more runs outside, allergies, special birthdays, spring cleaning and detoxing.
It also means CSA boxes!
Now begins my weekly ritual of opening up my box of locally grown veggies and fruit, washing them, setting them out on the counter to dry, and marveling at these gorgeous gifts from nature.
My first bunch of goodies!
Eating with the seasons is one of the easiest ways to help maintain balanced health throughout the year. When we eat with the seasons we are harmonizing with nature, as seasonal local foods often have healing qualities that remedy the current seasons ailments.
Here’s a sample of some spring foods I found in my box this week and some of their medicinal qualities.
- Beets– good liver and gall bladder cleansers
- Radishes– decrease congestion
- Bitter greens– kale, chard, dandelion, mustard, spinach and turnip greens all help detoxify the body, are blood cleansers and rich in anti oxidants
- Lemons- stimulate digestion, decrease congestion, help cleanse liver and gall bladder
- Cabbage– anti inflammatory
- Beans– any kind, high in potassium and relieve water retention