A hug in a cup.
It was one of those mornings on the coast, where the the fog hangs heavily in the air and the trees all weep with moisture from the night before. These are mornings where I just want to stay in my pajamas and snuggle on the couch with my lovelies all day. But alas, it’s Wednesday and we have to get moving…
Chai is my medicine for lazy, sluggish, chilly, wet days. All the herbs used to make this elixir help stimulate and support digestion and have warming and energizing qualities as well. Chai is healing, nourishing and leaves me feeling warm and cozy inside, just like a hug.
1 1/2 cups of water
2 Tablespoons whole cardamom pods
1 teaspoon whole cloves
3/4 teaspoon whole black pepper corns
1 stick of cinnamon
1-2 thin slices of ginger (about 1 inch long)
1/2 cup milk of your choice (today I used coconut milk)
- Lightly crush cardamom, cloves, pepper corns, cinnamon and ginger using a mortar and pestle
- In a small saucepan bring the water to a boil
- Add crushed spices to water, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the milk and simmer for 5 minutes more
- Strain and sweeten to taste