When your summer garden pours out its bounty of zucchini love, give this recipe a try.
Nina’s Zucchini Muffins
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cup olive oil
1tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 ripe mashed banana
2 cups shredded zucchini (you can also try 1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini and 1/2 cup shredded carrot instead, just to add a bit of color)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
- In another bowl, add eggs, olive oil, vanilla, sugar, banana and zucchini.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and blend well.
- Grease muffin pans and fill cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Makes about 12-14 muffins.
* If you are making bread: grease 2 loaf pans and bake for 40-50 minutes.
Sometimes I prepare a simple powder sugar and milk frosting and drizzle over the muffins when they are cool. Other days I sprinkle a cinnamon and granulated sugar mix on the muffins before baking. Most of the time we eat them plain and have yet to hear any complaints about it:)
Not long ago I made a vegan version of this recipe, by using 1/2 mashed banana per egg as a replacement.